Monday, November 17, 2014

Remember . . . Hope!


But this I call to mind,
    and therefore I have hope
Lamentations 3:21

I purchased a new Bible this past week and in the back of it is a reading guide. It is not your typical “read the Bible in a year” plan, in that it has specific dates for specific passages. So rather than begin reading this new Bible at the beginning, I began reading the Scriptures listed for the date I received the Bible. Saturday morning, the portion I was to read was from Lamentations. 

Okay...let’s just start with that word.

What comes to mind when you hear the word lamentations? The dictionary defines the word “lamentations” as: the passionate expression of grief or sorrow; weeping.  The Hebrew word ekah which means “how?!” and expresses dismay is used often in this book. The rabbis began to call the book “loud cries” or “lamentations.” It’s a book assumed to be written by Jeremiah after the fall of Jerusalem. One commentator said: 

“Like Job, Lamentations pictures a man of God puzzling over the results of evil and suffering in the world. However, while Job dealt with unexplained evil, Jeremiah lamented a tragedy entirely of Jerusalem’s making. The people of this once great city experienced the judgment of the holy God, and the results were devastating.” 

So my first thought as I began reading was not one of excitement or encouragement. Here are a few examples from the first few chapters:

 “Look, O Lord, for I am in distress; my stomach churns;  
my heart is wrung within me, because I have been very rebellious.  
In the street the sword bereaves; in the house it is like death” (1:20).

“How the Lord in His anger has set the daughter of Zion under a cloud!  
He has cast down from heaven to earth the splendor of Israel; 
He has not remembered His footstool in the day of His anger” (2:1).

“The Lord has scorned His altar, disowned His sanctuary; 
He has delivered into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces; 
they raised a clamor in the house of the Lord as on the day of festival” (2:7).

“My eyes are spent with weeping; my stomach churns;  
 . . . because of the destruction of the daughter of my people,  
because infants and babies faint in the streets of the city” (2:11).

“The Lord has done what He purposed;  He has carried out His word, 
which He commanded long ago;  He has thrown down without pity; 
 He has made the enemy rejoice over you and exalted the might of your foes” (2:17). 

“He has walled me about so that I cannot escape; 
He has made my chains heavy;  though I call and cry for help 
 He shuts out my prayer; He has blocked my ways with blocks of stones;  
 He has made my paths crooked” (3:7-9).


You get the idea… not a pleasant read. And even though the people of God had brought this on themselves through their sin, I couldn’t help but think of some of the things we ourselves are facing and having to live through that are not necessarily of our own doing. Yes, our sin separates us from God, but sometimes life just messes up and we find ourselves “lamenting” to God: “Where are You? Why haven’t you rescued me? How long will You ignore me?” Just read some of the Psalms David has written and you’ll see what I mean. Psalm 13 is one of my favorites.

This past week has been especially difficult for my family as we saw hope pulled out from under us. Some things we had been praying for and working towards, hoping resolution would occur soon, we discovered were not going to happen. And it was painful. And I lamented! I could definitely relate to Lamentations 2:11, “My eyes are spent with weeping; my stomach churns…” And Saturday morning when I was reading His Word and looking for peace and encouragement, I get assigned Lamentations??? Seriously?!

But I persevered…and in His faithfulness, He spoke.

About halfway through chapter 3, the author takes a breath and says:

But this I call to mind,
    and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in Him.”
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
    to the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should wait quietly
    for the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 3:21-26 (ESV)

This is what the Lord spoke to me in these verses:
  • Remember what He has already done; already promised you.
  • My hope is in Him and His Word which is “yes” and “amen” (2 Corinthians 1:20).
  • His love never ceases and His mercies, not only  will they never come to an end, but they are new each and every morning!
  • And then the reminder to wait quietly for His answer and salvation.
God is so faithful!
Hope in the Lord
Wait on the Lord!
Rest in the Lord!

 One more encouragement, this time from Moses: 

“Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord,
which he will work for you today.”
Exodus 14:13 (ESV)


‘Lena Ehlert
Whispers in Worship ©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment