Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The World is Watching You…

"I want to report to you, friends, that my imprisonment
here has had the opposite of its intended effect....
All the soldiers here, and everyone else, too, 
found out that I’m in jail because of this Messiah. 
That piqued their curiosity,
 and now they've learned all about him. 
(Philippians 1:12,13 Message)


As Paul is writing this letter to the Philippians, he is in a prison in chains for preaching the gospel. But, that didn't stop him as he lived out his faith even in challenging circumstances. As I pondered this scripture, I realized that, just as the guards were watching Paul,  the world around us is indeed watching us.... every move we make, every word we speak, every attitude we have. It reminded me of something that happened when I was about 20 years old.

I worked in a rather large office; I was quiet and shy and didn't really involve myself in the office activities. One day I was sitting at my desk trying to get a stuck drawer open and I was getting very frustrated. I didn't realize someone had walked up and in my frustration I said, “Oh c**p!” (I know, not really a “bad” word, but offensive to some). This girl who was standing there said, “Lena! I've never heard you talk like that! I thought you were a good Christian!”

It was an “aha” moment for me as I realized that these people were watching me. And for that one young girl, my testimony had been compromised. I noticed as time went by that she became less and less reserved around me with her own language.

Paul said, his chains (and attitude) "piqued their curiosity” and because of that he was able to share the gospel and many came to Christ.

As we go about our daily activities this week, even in the midst of the trials we face and the challenges we encounter, let us never forget that there is a lost and broken world watching us. As they see us endure our “chains” with joy and peace, may it also pique their curiosity…and draw them to Christ.

Blessings,

‘Lena
©Whispers in Worship


No comments:

Post a Comment