Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Like a Hot Burning Fire…

In reading through Philippians this morning, this particular verse struck me and the paraphrase from the Message really pierced my heart…

“Every time you cross my mind, 
I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. 
Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer.” 
(Philippians 1:3)

I meet every Saturday morning with a small group of ladies for prayer, fellowship and Bible study. This past week, we talked about the fervency of prayer and the importance of that fervency when praying for one another.

Do we do that? I confess that I don’t always pray with fervency for the needs of others. Not like I do when it’s MY problem. Oh, I pray in the when we meet together in a group gathering such as my Saturday mornings. But in the quiet of a Wednesday afternoon, or Friday morning; when I’m vacuuming the floors or washing the dishes?

Paul says, 
Every time you cross my mind, 
I break out in exclamations…!” 
and each exclamation is a trigger… 
a trigger to pray.

James tells us...
“The effective, fervent prayer 
of a righteous man 
avails much” 
(James 5:16).

I looked up the definition of “fervent” and found that one of its meanings is “intensity of spirit”; but it also means “hot; burning; glowing.”

As we remember friends of ours who are going through difficult and life altering situations, may it trigger in each of us an intensity of spirit in our prayers. May we burn in our desire to see the Hand of God move in each life and situation.


‘Lena Ehlert
©Whispers in Worship

Like a mighty rushing wind, Move us
Like a river of joy, flow through us
Like a hot burning fire, consume us, Lord
Touch us, and make us like You.
(Geron Davis)



No comments:

Post a Comment