Tuesday, May 14, 2013

“Do you believe the words?”

Last week as I was listening to Beth Moore on television, she asked the question, “Do you actually believe the words you are singing during praise and worship?” I didn’t think too much about it at the time, but Sunday morning during worship the question came back to me. We know the songs, the words, the melodies. We know the emotion that the songs should evoke in each of us; we lift our hands and voices as we lead the congregation into worship. But how many times do we find ourselves also thinking about other things as we sing?

“Did I turn the crock pot on? 
Did I turn the coffee pot off? 
Oh shoot, I forgot to mail the rent/mortgage check!”

I will admit: I am guilty of this from time to time. So yesterday, as we sang, I began to truly focus on the words we were singing:

I have decided, I have resolved to wait upon You, Lord…” Am I determined to live purposefully in obedience to Him?

“We are not shaken, we are not moved; we wait upon You, Lord.”  Is my faith built upon the rock or does it move in shifting sands of uncertainty?

“Chains, be broken! Lives, be healed!”  This is a bold declaration; actually it is a command: Chains – be broken in Jesus Name! Be healed in Jesus Name! Do I believe it? Am I truly declaring it with the power and authority given to me by Jesus?

“He is jealous for me.”  One of the definitions of “jealous” is vigilant in maintaining or guarding something. Most of us think of jealousy as a negative emotion…wanting something someone else has. But God’s jealousy for us is powerful, protective – He is vigilantly guarding us!


“When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory” How often I get caught up in the hardships, difficulties, challenges; my wants, needs and desires. Can I finally realize that His love and mercy supersedes them all?

 “But Thou, oh Lord, are a shield for me” A few weeks ago I saw a picture of a momma bird with her little ones gathered under her wings, guarding them and protecting them from the elements outside. That was the shield that I saw as we sang this song.

So my question to you is this: “Do you believe the words you sing during praise and worship? My challenge to all of us is to really pay attention to the words of the songs we sing. I daresay it will change not only the way we worship, but it will strengthen our faith and trust in the Lord.

“And oh, how He loves us!”…Wow!


‘Lena 
©Whispers in Worship


No comments:

Post a Comment