Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Expectations...

I got up this morning with the expectation of taking my granddaughter, Allison, to the summer movie events at our local Regal Theater. The website had informed me that today’s movie was The Lorax; however, when we arrived, that was not the case. There were two PG movies showing, both of which I considered inappropriate for my eighteen year old daughter, let alone my three year old granddaughter. So we found ourselves returning home.

We began the day with certain expectations, but soon found that they were not to be. As I drove home, I began to ponder expectations and how I view them in relation to God.

Have you found that you have certain expectations of God? Perhaps you have expected Him to take your situation and change it, only to find He wants you to walk through it. Or maybe you have expected Him to provide this way and instead He has done it another way.

Scripture tells us to expect God to move; expect God to speak; expect God to provide whatever it is we need. But we are not to place our expectations on a God who is much bigger than we can fathom.

Isaiah 55:8-9 says, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."

What are your expectations today? We are instructed by the psalmist to "Be silent before the Lord and wait expectantly for Him" (Psalm 37:7 HCS). But I have realized in the past few weeks that I am expecting Him to do it my way. I was reminded this weekend that God doesn't give  us road maps. He expects us to trust Him day by day, moment by moment.

Let this be our prayer today:
"In the morning, Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait expectantly" (Psalm 5:3 NIV).

Oh yeah...instead of sitting in a cold, dark movie theater, we are at home with the windows open letting in the beautiful sunshine and listening to the birds chirp, watching Scooby Doo and making sugar cookies...Expectations! Who knew?

'Lena Ehlert
©Whispers in Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment