Saturday, August 3, 2013

Are You Hungry?

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Matthew 5:6

Have you ever wanted something to eat, but just not been “hungry” for anything you have? Or you know you need to eat, but just don’t feel hungry? We all know that there are good foods and bad foods; there are foods that are healthy for us and there are those that really, really taste good, but cause our bodies to react in unhealthy ways.

Last Tuesday in prayer meeting as I was praying I asked the Lord to give me a hunger for His word; a hunger for His presence. I realized that while I know that I need to spend time in His word and presence, I’m not hungry!!

There are all sorts of things that vie for our attention or our time. There are good books to read that feed our minds and encourage our hearts; and there are books that fill our minds and hearts with junk. There are television shows that are informative, heartwarming and evening spiritually uplifting; but there are those that are “junk food” and cause our spirits to react in unhealthy ways. Just like physical food, we have to decide what we are hungry for…

I don’t want to spend time reading His word just because I know it’s good for me….I want to be hungry!

I don’t want to spent time in prayer just because I know it’s the right thing to do… I want to be hungry!

And I want to be hungry for Him!

Psalm 107:9 says, “For He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

Are you hungry?



No comments:

Post a Comment