Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Slow Down....

"Slow down. Take a deep breath. What’s the hurry? 
Why wear yourself out? Just what are you after anyway? 
But you say, ‘I can’t help it. I’m addicted to alien gods. 
I can’t quit.‘ …But when things go badly, 
they don’t hesitate to come running, 
calling out, ‘Get a move on! Save us!’
Jeremiah 2:25, 27b (Message)

I read this verse today and was chastised. I often get caught up in the busy-ness of life, the things that concern me, the burdens, even the fun opportunities that come my way.

“I have these errands to run, today”
“I’m reading this book that is so good, I just can’t put it down.”
“That is my favorite television show; gotta get home in time to watch it.”
“There are so many good movies out right now; I’ll be out every night!”
“The shoe store has a buy one / get one sale…let’s go shopping!”

Running, running, running…barely time to breathe. Add to the mix just the normal necessary things we must do (work, meals, laundry, etc.) and our time is eaten up quickly. And then, we collapse and say, “I’m so exhausted; I wish I had time to rest.”

But what happens when something goes wrong?

“The doctor says the test is positive.”
“I received my two week notice today.”
“There’s just not enough money to pay the bills this month.”

We don’t hesitate to come running yelling, “Help!” when we are in trouble. I’m not saying we should never run errands, go shopping, read books or see movies (although…not sure about the movies!). But, when we are so “addicted” to these things and have made them alien gods, it’s time to stop and rethink our lives. God wants to be a part of each and every moment of our lives, the busy moments and the not so busy moments.

I was chastised today…I don’t spend enough “not so busy” moments with God. Too many other “alien gods” grab my attention. Moses was a man with many, many responsibilities… leading thousands of people across the desert. I’m pretty sure there were times when he wanted to rest. But God said to him,

“My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
Exodus 33:14 (ESV)

Let’s not leave Him out of our busy lives, our fun moments, our hardest trials. His presence will bring rest to our souls and strength to our weary bodies.

I’m so thankful that His chastisement is gentle and loving.

’Lena Ehlert
©Whispers in Worship


No comments:

Post a Comment